Tips & Recipes
Tips on Deveining Shrimp for Sashimi
Our Argentina Red shrimps are sashimi grade and delicious when eaten raw. Here is what you need to know to make DIY shrimp sashimi.
What you need:
Argentina Red Shrimp
Soy sauce and wasabi to taste
1. Defrost the Shrimps for 2-3 hours in refrigerator
2. Pull off the head. Pull off the outer shell. Keep the last segment of shell and the tail tip on.
3. Devein the back of shrimp with a toothpick. The vein runs right along the back. Insert the tip of toothpick sideways about 1/2 inch down from the head of the shrimp and pull the toothpick tip up towards you. This will lift up the vein and you can pull off the vein with the toothpick or with your hand.
And there you have it! Add soy sauce and wasabi to taste, Shrimp Sashimi, done.
Spanish Red Prawn Risotto
l 1.5 cups of Arborio rice
l 5 Giant Red Prawns
l 1 onion
l 1 clove of garlic
l 1 red bell pepper
l 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
l 200 ml Brandy
l 200ml White Wine
l Pinch of Saffron
l Virgin olive oil
Method of preparation:
1. Remove heads and shells from the Giant Red Prawns. Set prawn meat aside.
2. Remove Roe from Prawn heads. Boil the heads and shells in a saucepan with 500ml of boiling water for 30 minutes, stir in roe gradually, strain and reserve broth
3. Dice onion, garlic and red bell pepper, sauté in olive oil for 2-3 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, rice and saffron. Sauté for a minute or so until rice is coated in oil and tomato paste, but don’t let the rice turn brown
4. Add wine and brandy and cook while stirring until the liquids are fully absorbed
5. Add a ladle of broth to the rice and stir until the liquid is fully absorbed. When the rice appears almost dry, add another ladle of stock and repeat the process
Note: It is important to stir constantly to prevent scorching
6. Continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, for 20-30 minutes or until the grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being crunchy. If you run out of stock and the risotto still isn't done, you can finish the cooking using hot water. Just add the water as you did with the stock, a ladle at a time, stirring while it's absorbed.
7. Pan fry prawn meat on the side while rice is almost ready. Cook 1.5 minutes on each side of each prawn.
8. Serve red prawn meat on risotto.
9. Makes 5-7 servings